A Little About My Writing Ambitions

I always wanted to write a best-seller, especially in the horror/thriller genre, but after exploring every form of writing possible while studying my Diploma of Professional Writing and Editing, I've found that being able to produce a well-written essay or successful poem provides the same level of satisfaction. It doesn't matter what I write, as long as I write it well.

Writing for children is the hardest, yet most rewarding, albeit not in a monetary sense. Yes, it's a harder market to crack, but a child's enthusiasm for a story I've written holds a magic that adults just don't possess.

The most important thing for me right now is that everything I write makes a difference to someone's life. Whether it's successful copy for an advertisement, a poem for a special event or a bigger project, my goal is to make a difference with carefully crafted words.

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Wrap-up of 2011

I spent most of 2011 moving/writing through a fog of illness, which has finally been correctly diagnosed. As long as I completely avoid wheat and gluten I can rebuild my immune system and, hopefully, always feel fit.


A large amount of my writing time was spent editing Beneath Dark Skies: a collection of Black Saturday bushfire stories from Callignee, Koornalla, Le Roy and Traralgon South. It was a huge job and a very emotional journey. I learnt as much about people as I did about fire and made some wonderful new friends.


Now that my health is back on track I started the year by entering Writer's Weekly 2012 Winter 24-Hour Short Story Content and am pleased to say I received an honourable mention.


I have also started a new blog about my own journey through two years of illnesses, misdiagnoses, living gluten-free and the changes I've made to my and my family's lives. It's still under construction, but I hope to start posting by the end of March.
You can find it at http://finding-my-star.blogspot.com.au/


I haven't given up on my puppets and writing for children with them, but have decided to focus on using modern technology to build a following. I hope to make some progress with this during the year as well.

No comments:

The star of my first children's story, 'Magpie's Nest'.

The star of my first children's story, 'Magpie's Nest'.
Magpie returns to the tallest tree in the park to discover his nest and the branch where it sat gone!